Anything that happens in life, or questions about life that I can think of. Please feel free to comment on any of the topics I bring up. I enjoy reading other perspectives. Now stop reading the header you loser.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Lights - "Siberia" Review


This album review is a bit late so I’ll keep it short since anyone who is interested in this review will probably have been able to check out the album by now. Valerie Anne Poxleitner, better known as Lights, released her second studio full length, Siberia, on October 4th, 2011. Lights is a Canadian synthpop artist, and although Siberia is still very much a synthpop record, I think her sound is a lot different on this record than her previous album, The Listening. It seems like she stripped away much of the “cotton-candy” sound out of her songs and replaced it with a lot more maturity. Not every song off of Siberia fits this description, but the album as a whole does. For an artist that is primary known for her fun and upbeat songs, I dare say this album is dark at times.

The dubstep movement is no secret at this point. A lot of the people within “the scene” seem to be against this movement toward electronic instrumentals arguing that it’s not “organic” enough. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the movement, but I can’t deny that having another avenue for creating music and expressing oneself is a good thing. I’m sure anytime there are any sort of advancements in any field, there is always some form of resistance. Humans just seem not to do well with change. Siberia seems to be Lights’ contribution to the dubstep movement. Someone who listens to Skillrex might see this statement as absurd as Siberia probably isn’t considered pure dubstep to most. However, I would argue that Lights takes a different spin on dubstep by using the elements of dubstep and applying it to more traditional music format. She finds a way to create a fusion of the two worlds where she can still use lyrics to convey and enhance the story of the song. Whereas Skrillex is primarily heavy synth and beats without any lyrics. I think this ability to find a balance between the two worlds shows how creative this young lady is. I’m not a huge Lights fan, but I can recommend at least checking this record out.

No comments: