Anything that happens in life, or questions about life that I can think of. Please feel free to comment on any of the topics I bring up. I enjoy reading other perspectives. Now stop reading the header you loser.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Evolution of Thrice


Just a short entry this time that doesn't really have a lot of meat. Really just an observation I had today.

I've been listening to a lot more Thrice lately and mostly on shuffle. It hit me today while listening to some of their really old material, that Thrice has evolved so much. I think they really capture how a band is suppose to evolve. It annoys me a bit when I'm at shows and fans only want bands to play their old material. It bothers me that fans expect artists to remain complacent and never change.

Thrice formed in 1998 and started as what I would describe as a punk-alternative rock act. In 2003 they released "The Artist and the Ambulance" where I think their sound began to change. This album probably also marked the peak of their popularity. I think the album did so well because they still had their core punk base, as well as a growing group of alternative-rock listeners. Their sound took another evolution when "Vheissu" was released. They really matured with this record, and I think a lot of their older fans felt abandoned, although I thought it was a very strong record.

I was lucky to follow them throughout their evolution. If you're interested in this type of music, I highly suggest going through each of their albums in order.

Identity Crisis(2000/2001)
The Illusion of Safety(2002)
The Artist in the Ambulance(2003)
Vheissu(2005)
The Alchemy Index Vols. I & II(2007)
The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV(2008)
Beggars(2009)
Major/Minor(2011)

No comments: