Anything that happens in life, or questions about life that I can think of. Please feel free to comment on any of the topics I bring up. I enjoy reading other perspectives. Now stop reading the header you loser.

Monday, May 21, 2012

"The Avengers" Review

Anyone who knows me knows I am not very fond of these huge summer blockbuster films. I just don't think you can substitute a solid story and a well thought out production with a couple of massive explosions and falling buildings and hope for a good movie. Apparently no one really gives a shit what I think because summer movies have made a boat load of money. This disconnect I have with “what is popular” was demonstrated even further during the previews. I could hear the chatter and buzz around me after the “The Dark Knight Rises” trailer finished. But the buzz after the “Prometheus” trailer wasn’t nearly as present. I think people get sucked into hype way too easily. With that in mind, I don’t doubt that the new Batman has the potential to be a very special film, I just think the general reaction is exaggerated. “The Avengers”, however, did not disappoint. The movie didn’t change my life or anything, but it didn’t put me to sleep like Transformers 2 or Sherlock Holmes did. I thought Whedon’s humor came through very well at perfectly timed moments. The ensemble cast did justice as well. Whedon and team did a very good job making sure each character was distinct and their abilities obvious. The Avengers did what Japanese anime has been doing for years, except in English and with American spin. You can watch any Japanese anime that concerns itself with a group of heroes with power levels and character development and you can see parallels with The Avengers.
The Avengers gives us what we expect from a summer family movie. The movie could even give Michael Bay a boner. I’m still not sure I buy into the 3D movement, but this movie might be worth seeing once in 3D and once in 2D.

No comments: