Anything that happens in life, or questions about life that I can think of. Please feel free to comment on any of the topics I bring up. I enjoy reading other perspectives. Now stop reading the header you loser.

Monday, October 12, 2015

CHVRCHES Review | Minnesota Show | 2015-10-10

I had a very adventurous and fun weekend, but I will spare you the details as the weekend was much more “adventurous” in person than it is on paper. Let’s just say we utilized Craig’s List in the best way possible and met some cool people. The reason I bring up my weekend is because I attended the CHVRCHES show and I wanted to share my experiences with people who weren’t able to attend the show. I am a fan of the band, and I have enjoyed both their debut album (The Bones Of What You Believe) and their recent release (Every Open Eye).

  

However, I’ve seen videos of their live performance and I very much thought they are a better studio band. They didn’t seem to dominate the stage like bands I have enjoyed seeing live in the past. They are also at a disadvantage since they are locked behind their computers and other devices. This was a case of YouTube videos not being able to capture the actual “energy” of a live show.

A video posted by Min Lee (@minlee2) on

They are a much better live band than I had given them credit for. They obviously have a very cool synth sound and their stage matches what they are trying to accomplish. They have a bunch of big lights and even their gear is set up behind a neat little package. Frontlady, Lauren Mayberry, does a good job moving from song to song while breaking the show up with a few cool stories in between.


Even when listening to their albums, you understand that Mayberry isn’t trying to challenge Mariah Carey on range. She gets what works and she does it very well. She brings that exact same sound to her live performance. With a band like CHVRCHES, you have to appreciate the entire package when seeing them in concert. You aren’t going to be blown away by their stage presence, you aren’t going to leave feeling like your life has changed, but between the songs, the lights, and a solid performance, you’ll leave very happy.

 

My biggest disappointment of the night has nothing to do with the band. Myth was completely packed, but the crowd was dead. I went with a few people and we wanted to cut-a-rug, but our energy was drained by how dead the people around us were. It wasn’t until the show was about 75% over that people started really getting into it. This could be a case of their new album being too new since “Every Open Eye” came out at the end of September. Either way, if you’re a fan of the band and you missed this show, make sure you go next time they’re in town.

No comments: